Five Things You Need To Know About Mold Five Things You Need To Know About Mold
On August 22, 2015

Five Things You Need To Know About Mold

While mold can be challenging to detect, its effects should not be overlooked. Because mold can be infiltrate a house largely unseen, the symptoms related to mold exposure are often likened to idiopathic disease. For this reason, many people experience symptoms for many years before ever seeking treatment.

Much of this can be reversed, however, if you know these five things about mold:

  1. Mold is related to Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) which is defined as, “an accute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response syndrome acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms,” and includes symptoms like fatigue, weakness, muscle pain, congestion, coughing, headaches, diarrhea, abdominal pain, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, and mood swings. While some people have a genetic predisposition to CIRS, the symptoms are directly related to the toxic mold that occurs after water damage. Due to the wide array of symptoms, CIRS is often difficult to diagnose, however, a first step is always to test your house for mold.
  2. Dead mold spores can be just as deadly as live ones. Because mold spores release toxins into the environment at all times, the only way to treat mold in your home is to remove it. This is also why spraying bleach on mold is not the answer.
  3. Toxic mold exposure causes symptoms similar to Multiple Sclerosis (MS). A condition where the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord become damaged, MS causes symptoms such as dizziness, loss of balance, fatigue, depression, muscle weakness, and poor coordination. Many of these same symptoms are seen in people who have been exposed to toxic mold.
  4. Mold can cause cancer. Aflatoxins are a type of myotoxin released by mold spores commonly seen in a host of food products, such as corn, peanuts, and grains, and ingestion of these has been linked to liver cancer. It was this association that led the FDA to establish a maximum allowable level of total aflatoxin in food commodities of 20 parts per billion (ppb) and 0.5 ppb in milk products.
  5. Any water leak in your home can predispose your house to developing mold. The most insidious cases of mold damage come from the leaks you don’t see, such as those in your roof, between your home’s frame and exterior coverings, and those in attics and basements.

If you suspect mold in your house, take proactive steps to test for it. Further, if you suspect a roof leak, have your roof inspected immediately. When it comes to mold, acting sooner, rather than later, is always the best course of action.


This article is brought to you by ASAP ROOFING, a national roofing company that specializes in water damage, hail restoration, and exceptional customer service.

Contact Roofing Contractor Denver

Contact Us today for Guidance on roof restoration from hail damage.

  • By Joe Carroll  0 Comments 

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *